Friday, March 23, 2012

News Paper Agents Strike

A glass of tea with newspaper in the morning. This was the habit of 90% malayalees upto last sunday. But from the morning of 19th March 2012 we are not getting news paper and hence this habit is now changed. During further enquiry, it was learnt that the news paper agent's have been started strike by demanding to increase their commission.  Being a regular news paper reader in the morning, I was also in search of newspaper in the morning of last monday. Several times I came out from my residence in the morning for searching newspaper. Then it was noticed that some of the paper boys were carrying news papers and sending in some near by residences. Immediately I contacted our agent and enquired the reason for not getting the news paper. He then informed me that they are joined in strike and some agents are not participating in the strike. The non striking agents may be supplying paper in our areas. Due to my habit in the morning to get a news paper at the time of bed coffee, it was informed to my agent that I am going to ask another agent who is not in strike to supply news paper to me also. Next day I got the same on 21st. But from the next day morning I have not received the paper and after some time I came to know that all the agents are now stopped the news paper supply due to the pressure of striking agents.
Now the strike has entered on the 5th day and now I have been able to have coffee in the morning without reading news paper. For getting news in the morning now I have started to read e-paper in the morning by spending at least 45 minutes in the morning. 
The Labour Minister has already taken intitatives and decided to invite the striking agents and news paper owners for a discussion on 26th. But now we are getting reports that the news paper owners will not be participating in the discussion. Hence there is no chance for ending this strike. In my opinion, if the present commission is low, it should be enhanced to some extent. 
If the strike continues, the malayalees will be soon shifted to e- news paper or to watch TV channels. This may be adversely affected the news paper business, which is a highly profitable one.      

No comments:

Post a Comment